World Incidents

Three men sentenced to combined 70 years in jail for murder of 18-year-old Fahad Nur in Cardiff

Three men who trapped a teenager in a lane before stabbing him to death have been sentenced to a combined nearly 70 years in jail.

Fahad Nur, 18, suffered 21 knife wounds – including five to his back – after being chased through Cathays in Cardiff and into a lane behind Cardiff University Students’ Union.

Fahad was left for dead after the attack by Mustafa Aldobhani, 22, his brother Abdulgalil Aldobhani, 23, and Shaffique Shaddad, 25.

Passing sentence at Cardiff Crown Court, Mr Justice Hilliard said there had been no indication of genuine remorse throughout the ten week trial.

“No sentence I pass is intended to measure the value of Fahad Nur’s life and can put right what you have done. That is not possible”, the Judge said.


Members of the public tried to help the teenager while emergency services arrived, but he died at the University Hospital of Wales about an hour after the attack.

Mustafa Aldobhani was sentenced to life, and will serve a minimum of 22-and-a-half 5 years. Abdulgalil Aldobhani will serve a minimum of 24 years and Shaffique Shaddad will spend at least the next 23 years in jail.


The Judge said it was plain Fahad Nur was involved in supplying drugs on the street. He also said it was plain there was some “hostility” between him and defendants.

The court heard wraps of drugs and £780 in cash was found on Fahad’s clothes. A drugs dispute is likely to be behind what happened, the Judge told the court.

Fahad Nur was stabbed 21 times. The fatal stab wound was to his heart. “In my judgment it was a joint tight knit enterprise indeed”, Judge Hilliard said.

The jury rejected the defence of self defence.

Judge Hilliard continued: “There is one one sentence for murder and that’s life but I have to set a minimum term. This was not a case of spontaneous violence but premeditated. They wanted to cause him some serious harm. I’m sure they all knew a knife was being brought to the scene”.


In a victim statement, Fahad’s sister Filsan Nur said losing her brother had been “so incredibly hard”.

Whilst he was on his own in a dark lane, Fahad was ambushed and stabbed to death in such a cowardly and vicious attack. How can anyone ever even try to justify hurting him like that when he was clearly running away? It’s terribly painful and distressing thinking that the last emotion my young brother had was fear, and the last memory he would have had was of being stabbed and kicked repeatedly.

Nobody has ever shown an ounce of remorse throughout this entire ordeal. My family and I have had to endure a court trial, whilst seeing the accused giving excuses and denying any part in my brother’s death.

My brother has been talked about like he was a horrible and violent person. My brother was none of these things. Nobody here knows the real Fahad, and now he will never be able to show the world his true nature.


The court heard Abdulgalil Aldobhani later tried to flee to Morocco after the killing – but was arrested at Heathrow Airport with his girlfriend.

Shaddad, was arrested three days later but the Aldobhanis fled first to Birmingham before travelling to Heathrow.

Abdulgalil Aldobhani was arrested at Terminal Two with his girlfriend Aseel Arar, 35, who had purchased them one-way tickets to Morocco.

All four defendants chose not to give evidence during their trial.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.